The Feature Documentary
Ghost Fleet follows a small group of activists who risk their lives on remote Indonesian islands to find justice and freedom for the enslaved fishermen who feed the world’s insatiable appetite for seafood. Bangkok-based Patima Tungpuchayakul, a Thai abolitionist, has committed her life to helping these “lost” men return home. Facing illness, death threats, corruption, and complacency, Patima’s fearless determination for justice inspires her nation and the world.
The VR Film
Ghost Fleet VR immerses viewers in the true story of slavery in the Thai fishing industry. The experience is based on a main character in the feature documentary, Ghost Fleet, which exposes the dark side of illegal fishing and the heroes working to end it. The VR experience will allow audiences to step onboard and enter the heroic story of Tun Lin, who was sold into slavery when he moved to Thailand looking for work. Born in Myanmar, Tun Lin was kidnapped when he was fourteen-years-old and forced to fish without pay as far away as the coast of Somalia. He spent 11 years on the boat and suffered endless abuse and trauma alongside his crewmates of enslaved fishermen. Journey with Tun Lin as he retraces his ordeal, the years of horrific treatment on board the slave ship, and his brave escape from a prison made of water.
- June 21-27: Landmark Opera Plaza, San Francisco, CA | Buy tickets
- June 21-27: Landmark Shattuck, Berkeley, CA | Buy tickets
- June 21-27: Landmark Ritz at the Bourse, Philadelphia, PA | Buy tickets
- June 26: Rosendale Theatre, Rosendale, NY | Buy tickets
- July 5-11: Pittsburgh Filmmakers Harris Theatre, Pittsburgh, PA | Tickets on sale soon
- July 7-18: Frontier Cinema Cafe & Gallery, Brunswick, ME | Tickets on sale soon
- July 12: Liberty Theatre, Camas, WA | Tickets on sale soon
- July 24-27: Dairy Arts Center, Boulder, CO | Tickets on sale soon
“Now, at the end of our own five-year-long line, I find… the hope of redemption.
That our film will help Patima in her mission to bring these horrors to light.
That our rolling cameras caught glimpses of these men’s stunning hearts.
And that their courage ignites our own.”
HEROES OF THE FILM
ABOUT THE FILMMAKERS
- Paul G. Allen Executive Producer
- Carole Tomko Executive Producer
- Rocky Collins Executive Producer
- Jannat Gargi Executive Producer
- Geralyn Dreyfous Executive Producer
- Shannon O’Leary Joy Executive Producer
- Julia Ormond Executive Producer
- Shari Sant Plummer Executive Producer
- T.C. Johnstone Co-Executive Producer
- Greg Kwedar Co-Producer
- Louie Psihoyos Co-Producer
- Aimee Link Co-Producer